Thursday, August 26, 2010

Suma Total: A blog on my OCHANGE experience and OD values (Aerianne Mendoza)

As promised, my folks blogged about other topics and LGIs I have not discussed in my entries. There is more to come but for the mean time, let us take a break. Let us talk about my source of inspiration for coming up with blogs.

Besides from wanting to help many organizations change for the better (in case any member of an organization that wants to change has had the chance to read Kilay ng Bakla Blogs), my inspiration in writing comes from my Ochange class.

Ochange had been very helpful to me. For one, it helped me become analytical yet creative. Analytical because there were a lot of diagrams and matrices presented in class that I had to interpret to understand concepts. Because of the diagrams I had a good grasp of: McKinsey's 7 s framework, leadership styles, and creative tension in Learning Organizations. With diagrams, I easily saw how concepts relate to each other and how a concept can be in the works. For one, creative tension in Learning Organizations manifests itself when a person goes out of his comfort zones to reach a desired state. Creative tension is like a situation wherein a person is pulled by 2 rubberbands - the rubberband of the past or his habits and the rubberband of the future or the path to greater heights also known as success. As a person veers closer toward the rubberband of the future, that means he gets nearer his desired state. In terms of creativity, I learned to be creative in inerpreting ideas so I can make the most out of them. As I said, there had been a lot of diagrams in class. These diagrams can be interpreted in a lot of ways and I learned just how to do so. For example in the diagram for creative tension, there can be 2 meanings for it. The first one I presented already and the second one is this: in the process of change, one can experience a pull towards being traditional and when he gives in to it, he can never usher into his desired state. So we see that with one diagram, there is a challenge or inspiration to reach one's desired state and a caveat that speaks of the negative pull traditions have on a changing person, more so on a changing organization. In imbibing the creative tension, I chose to go by just the first explanation of how creative tension manifests. Creative tension is a surmountable challenge, something that liberates us from bonds of tradition (complacency, commitment, and other conceptual blocks). If we just adequately pull ourselves away from the rubberband of the past, that rubberband will break and we'll be free to embrace our ideal future as reality.

Aside from helping me become more analytical and creative, Ochange helped me to discover new things and their application in real life settings. I learned of different LGIs and knew where they can be used. LGIs can be used to help organizations restructure, aid organizations to have higher play and performance, and facilitate a city in pushing for radical and beneficial change. Let us just take Preferred Futuring. Through this LGI, a city in Midwest America became a business center even when it was one of the lousiest cities in the States before the LGI. Made me realize that learning LGIs is practical; convinced me that I can actualize improvements I envision from time to time.

And then, Ochange improved my grasp on or understanding of organizational values. I have studied values for a lot of times already and yet before Ochange, I haven't had a full grasp of what it is. Sure I have personal values that I use as a standard whenever I want to check if my decisions are right or wrong. Sure I value Fear of the Lord , justice, and objectivity among other things. But in terms of work, I really can't say what values to uphold since organizational values has been too broad a topic to explain in detail. Thank God for Ochange. It explained that when one works in an organization (especially in an organization specializing in Organizational Development Interventions), one must uphold human development, social justice, and participation. Organizational development should be achored on enhancing organizational effectiveness and ensuring quality life for organizational members.

To top it off, Ochange empowered me. It inspired me and made me understand that I can always do something to evolve from being not so good to good, good to better, and better to best. I enjoyed the class, though I could have been happier if LGIs like the World Cafe and SimuReal were done in class so I can experience and apply them in my future work.

Reference for OD values:
Lecture on the OD Practitioner and Values

No comments:

Post a Comment